(TIML NEWS) “To add insult, u keep screaming black excellence and love but I know love isn’t free.”
Nearly a week after Diddy gave an acceptance speech at Clive Davis’ Pre-GRAMMY Gala, where he discussed artists, specifically black artists, standing firm in their power, one of his former Bad Boy Records artists plans to speak truth to the media mogul’s statements. On Friday (Jan. 31), Mase took to Instagram to reveal that he’s trying to obtain his publishing from the “Mo Money Mo Problems” collaborator.
“Your past business practices knowingly has continued purposely starved your artist and been extremely unfair to the very same artist that helped u obtain that Icon Award on the iconic Bad Boy label,” he said. “For example, u still got my publishing from 24 years ago in which u gave me $20k. Which makes me never want to work w/ u as any artist wouldn’t after u know someone is robbing you & tarnishing your name when u don’t want to comply w/ horrendous business model.” Mase previously performed at the gala.
The Harlem native then shared that he attempted to offer $2 million for his publishing but Diddy reportedly told him to match another person’s offer. “To add insult, u keep screaming black excellence and love but I know love isn’t free,” he continued. “So I offered u 2m in cash just a few days ago to sell me back my publishing (as his biggest artist alive) that always show u respect for u giving me an opportunity at 19 years old. Your response was if I can match what the EUROPEAN GUY OFFER him that would be the only way I can get it back.”
In 1997, Mase released his debut album, Harlem World, which was executive produced by Diddy. He went on to release Double Up, and Welcome Back, both under the Bad Boy’s masthead. Each album became a bestseller, obtaining platinum and gold plaques.
Read his full statement below.